Banner Grandstand

© Banstead Athletic FC 2015-18


If you would like to contact us please email Terry Molloy his email address is as follows: [email protected]


Or you can contact Bob Lockyer at: [email protected] and he will be pleased to help you.







Club news for 2018-2019...

CCL Premier Division Colliers Wood United 0 Banstead Athletic 1

O'Brien, Cheeseman and Holden all returned to the side. We started off brightly, Cheeseman causing all sorts of problems for the home side. We took the lead on fifteen minutes when Holden crossed for Cheeseman to slot home from eight yards out. Great play by Hutchings on the left, he put a great cross over to Joey Jones who was inches away from making it two nil. O'Brien had a header cleared off the line and Burt shot inches wide.

The back four in Newman, Geraghty, Teutan and O'Brien were superb and Minchin in goal was merely a spectator.

Colliers Wood were dangerous from set plays and we had to be switched on from their long throws, but we matched them superbly.

1-0 at halftime was the least we deserved, especially as Hutchings was brought down one on one, but the referee waved play on.

    The second half was a similar affair, we looked comfortable, but it became slightly scrappier. Cheeseman failed to hit the target, and Holden fired over. Day replaced Blendell to add freshness and Staniforth replaced Cheeseman who had worked his socks off on his return. Williams replaced Holden on eighty minutes and added energy in the attacking areas. Minchin had to be alert on eighty five minutes from a free kick from United but he saved comfortably. We saw the remaining minutes out and right on full time Mohammad slam dunked Joey Jones to receive a straight red and pile more misery onto the home side.

It was a very good performance from the A's, best of the season, and it shows how far we have come. We have gone top...yes, we have played more games, but unbeaten in eight games is testament to the boys who are a joy to be part of.

Another test awaits us Saturday, as Southall FC are the visitors to Merland Rise. After that we have a week to prepare for the FA Vase match, a competition we want to do well in.


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 1 Walton & Hersham 1

On Saturday we hosted Walton & Hersham FC at Merland Rise.

Hoping to keep ourselves in the pack, and maintaining our very proud unbeaten record.

The game in short never got going, and was a scrappy affair.

Ogbuguke hit the post from a soft back pass, and Walton had their moments, but the first half was pretty non effective.

     Walton took the lead in the opening moments of the second half when Dan Band headed at the back post. We reacted well, and Joey Jones equalised minutes later from eighteen yards. The game started to come to life when Dre Grobler had a chance to increase the visitors score but fired wide. Substitute Liam Holden forced Bradshaw into a fine save. Ogbuguke had to carried off leaving Banstead to play the last ten minutes with ten men, but the home side finished the strongest but couldn't find that elusive winner, but a point was probably a fair result.


CCL Premier Division Bastead Athletic 1 Southall FC  1

Southall FC were the opponents last Saturday at Merland Rise. We were without AJ Morrison, Scott Day, Danny Penfold & Joe Blendell.

     The match as a whole failed to live up to the billing, as two sides more or less cancelled each other out. Both teams looked organised and chances were at a premium in the first half.

     The second half started and before we knew it Southall were 1-0 up. Minchin came for the ball, spilled it, and it fell kindly to the Southall forward who side footed it into an empty net.

     Banstead rallied and were determined to keep their unbeaten record and Liam Holden was on hand to slot home from five yards from a near post run which had been flicked on by Cheeseman to continue their good run of form. Hutchings hit the bar with five minutes to go, but a draw was a fair result. Southall were organised and hard to break down, but the game never got going to be honest.


FA Vase 2nd qualifying round Sporting Club Thamesmead 0 Banstead Athletic 1

Last Saturday we travelled to Sporting Club Thamesmead in South East London. On a glorius day we were looking to advance into the 1st round proper of this competition. We were without Penfold, Morrison who were both injured, and Hutchings.

We struggled to get into our stride. The first opening went to our hosts who had a lob from twenty yards saved by our keeper Jack Minchin. Liam Holden hit the bar from the right from a cross come shot, and five minutes later hit the post from eight yards. Minchin was active and in fine form, making two more saves of good quality. Then some good interchange from Geraghty on the left and Cheeseman was on hand to head home from three yards. Minchin made another save to his right as the half drew to an end.

The second half began with Banstead having a slender 1-0 lead. Great work from Holden on the left and a fine delivery found Cheeseman, but his header was directed straight at their keeper. Watkins replaced Holden after sixty eight minutes, Minchin was on hand to make a great double reflect save and keep our slender lead in tact. McCulloch replaced Blendell and Omrore came into the centre of the park. The last five minutes were end to end, but both keepers were not really tested.

 Banstead advance to the next round after a below par performance, but credit to our hosts who worked extremely hard.

We turn our attention now to our match on Tuesday night

(18th Sept) against Redhill where hopefully Scott Day and Danny Penfold can return to the fold.


CCL Premier Division Redhill 0 Banstead Athletic 0

We maintained our unbeaten record after ten games with a disciplined performance at Redhill FC last Tuesday evening. Who themselves were on a six match winning streak. Redhill probably shaded the first half, Trotter headed over from six yards, but inbetween Joey Jones hit the bar for us and Geraghty forced a good save from Trevino. Just before the break Halsey side footed a freekick narrowly wide.

 Banstead started the second half with a lot more purpose, and Redhill struggled to break our defence down. Cheeseman and Scott Day were starting to get on top of the home back four, and chances started to appear. Day mis-hit a good opportunity and failed to hit the target, and Cheeseman had a header cleared off the line while Minchin in the Banstead goal was a mere spectator. A good point gained, if we are to surprise the odds we need to start turning draws into wins.

For me it's a wonderful achievement to be unbeaten in ten League games, with a budget as small as ours.

     We have a rare Saturday off before we entertain Colliers Wood United on Tuesday 25th Sept at Merland Rise in the Cherry Red Records Premier Challenge Cup. There will be an opportunity for the squad to get minutes, as players will be rested as the League is our bread & butter.


Cherry Red Records Premier Challenge Cup 2nd round Banstead Athletic FC 4 Colliers Wood United FC 3

Tuesday night we won an absorbing League Cup tie against Colliers Wood Utd.  

       We advanced into the 3rd round after coming back from going 0-1 down in the first five minutes, trailing to a Tyrone Newton goal.  

Joey Jones, Liam Holden and Joe Cheeseman scored three goals within twenty three minutes. Tom Costelloe was on hand to make it 4-1 by halftime (following up to a Watkins shot parried by their keeper). Up by three goals without really getting into a flowing rhythm by the break.

Dan Harding was on hand to give the visitors hope on the hour mark, and with eighteen minutes remaining the lead was cut to 4-3 when the ball was thought to have trickled into the net.

 We had to withstand an onslaught, but held firm to reach the next round in definately a game of two halves. A below par performance but full credit to Colliers Wood Utd who made it a nervy last fifteen minutes.

  We go to Hanworth Villa FC this Saturday looking to get a huge three points and keeping us in and around the top six.


CCL Premier Division Hanworth Villa 1 Banstead Athletic 1                              

Last Saturday we drew 1-1 at Hanworth Villa. The hosts took the lead after thirty minutes from a free kick that beat Jack Minchin in goal to his left.

Tommy Hutchings equalised from the spot after Joe Cheeseman was bundled down in the area.

Matthew Auletta on his debut nearly won it for us but fired his shot at Buss the Villa keeper after fine vision by Kieran Rhule.

A draw was probably fair, but Banstead finished the game on the front foot.


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 2 Guildford City 0

Banstead Athletic got back to winning ways with a fairly comfortable 2-0 win against Guildford City.

     We started very brightly and pinned our visitors in for the first twenty minutes. A free kick was flicked on by Scott Day and Joe Cheeseman was on hand to give us a deserved lead. Hutchings was unlucky not to increase our lead when he dragged his shot wide. Jack Minchin in our goal was a mere spectator for the first half, but what he did have to do he did well.

  The second half Guildford City came out faster and Minchin had to be alert when he was forced into a good save by using his feet. Hutchings then rattled the crossbar and with twenty minutes remaining Scott Day finished a  fine move to slot home from twenty yards.

    A thoroughly professional performance. Twelve League games unbeaten, and our focus turns to this Sunday

(14th Oct) when we travel to Broadfields United in the

FA Vase 1st round.


FA Vase 1st round Broadfields FC 1 Banstead Athletic FC 7

We advanced into the second round of the FA Vase with an emphatic 7-1 away win at Broadsfields United. Joe Cheeseman opened proceedings with a tap in from a Tommy Hutchings shot that was only parried by the home keeper  Matthew Faley with just five minutes on the clock. Cheeseman increased our lead from great work down the right by Kailan North on fifteen minutes. Cheeseman was unlucky when his header hit the post from another cross. Joey Jones was on hand to head home to give us a 3-0 lead a minute before halftime. The big man was not to be denied his hat trick when he grabbed his third goal two minutes into injury time at the end of the first half to make it 4-0.

Broadfields were reduced to ten men after an incident with Ben Geraghty off the ball. We had chances to increase our lead from Costello who headed over and North who failed to test their keeper. A 4-0 advantage at half time was a hugely deserved lead, but we were not going to rest on our laurels. Jones and Hutchings had chances to make it 5-0 but failed to convert their chances. Watkins and Penfold replaced Geraghty and Teutan who had damaged his hand. It took minutes before Watkins put in a cracking cross which was converted superbly by Cheeseman to add to his hat trick

(5-0) Hutchings made it 6-0 with a quality finish after superb linkup play from Blendell and Holden who had replaced Newman on sixty five minutes. A long goal kick from the home side caught us out at the back and Kimona held off O'Brien to finish cooly passed Jack Minchin (6-1). Jones hit the crossbar and a superb move was finished superbly by the returning Danny Penfold who curled his shot into the top left hand corner (7-1). Tommy Hutching nearly made it 8 but fired against the outside of the post. A 7-1 win, a proud day for the club, and now we are into the last 64 of this competition.


CCL Premier League Knaphill FC 1 Banstead Athletic FC 2

Making five changes to the team which played against Broadfields United in the FA Vase we decided to give Williams, Watkins, Morrison, Holden and Batten deserved minutes.

    It took us a while to settle down understandably, but we certainly had the better of the exchanges.

   Cheeseman put us ahead on halftime slotting it in the left hand corner.

The second half started and Knaphill came out the traps faster and had a couple of half chances before they equalised when Thomas calmly beat Minchin into the right hand corner after a misjudgement by our back line.

    Cheeseman missed a header from five yards out from a Hutchings corner. Then we regained the lead when North volleyed into the left hand corner when it appeared to be misjudged by the Knaphill keeper. Watkins and substitute Bukele had chances, Blendell was inches away from adding to our slender 2-1 lead when he hit the crossbar from thirty yards after  chipping their keeper.

   We held out for a deserved win, and it shows how far we have come when we made so many changes. Teutan, Penfold and Auletta were all absent so it shows competition is as strong as I've ever known it at the club.

We welcome Raynes Park Vale this Saturday where we will have to be at our best as our opponents have been resurged of late.


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 1 Raynes Park Vale 1

A frustrating afternoon last Saturday against Raynes Park Vale when it finished 1-1.

     On a bitterly cold day we came out the traps the faster and had a couple of opportunities to take the lead. Joe Cheeseman forced a fine reflex save from the Vale keeper. Matt O'Brien toe poked the ball past the opposition keeper and into the net with an outstretched leg to give us the lead. It remained 1-0 until the break.

The second half became a lot scrappier, and the visitors started to oppose the threat, helped by us resorting to the long ball. We had chances to increase our slender lead but Vale also posed a threat when somehow at the back post when it looked easier to score their forward missed the target from all of two yards. McKillop was on hand for our visitors to finish a move minutes later to level the scoreline be it via a wicked deflection. Hutchings in injury time vollyed over when in a good position and so it remained 1-1 on a frustrating afternoon, but in truth it was a fair reflection as Raynes Park Vale had worked tirelessly.

    Fourteen games still unbeaten which is a marvellous achievement for this new side.

       We switch our intentions to FA Vase duties this Saturday away to Steyning Town FC which is likely to be in front of a big crowd, and we know it will be a tough afternoon, but one the players will be ready for.


Sheerwater 0 Banstead Athletic 3 CRRPCC 3rd round

We advanced into the quarter final of this cup with a comfortable

3-0 win away at Sheerwater FC.

Several players were rested, but it did give others a chance to get minutes on the pitch. The first half was a really poor performance from ourselves with the home side starting the game the brighter, but failing to test Jack Minchin in our goal.


FA Vase 2nd round STEYNING TOWN COMMUNITY FC 1 Banstead Athletic FC 0

Banstead Athletic came up slightly short and narrowly lost this match. It didn't help when Joe Cheeseman was sent off for a foul in the second half.

The A's played well though in the first half but were lucky not to have gone behind after a couple of chances from the home team. Jack Minchin did well to tip one of the home team's chances onto the bar and Town were unlucky when the ball hit the post with their second effort. We went behind with five minutes left in the first half to a good finish from Chris Neatherway who had come on as a first half substitute. Second half was a disappointment simply because we didn't really create too much.


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 2 SCR 3

Sutton Common Rovers went home with three hard fought points from Merland Rise.

         Banstead took the lead through Ben Geraghty who minutes later was stretchered off with what looked like a bad injury, but before that Geraghty was punished for a push and a penalty was given which Pinder despatched.

       Steve Newman regained Banstead the lead moments later when he lobbed the visitor's keeper from eight yards.

      The second half began with Banstead having chances to take the lead again. Bowers-Williams shot inches wide after fifty five minutes. SCR began to sense blood and Rixon-Nichols headed them an equaliser. With twelve minutes to go Page rounded Minchin in the home goal and calmly slotted home. To Banstead's credit they pinned their opponents for the final ten minutes and Holden was denied a fine header when the ball was superbly turned around by Ollaway.

        A draw would have been a fair result but SCR are the best side we've faced this season, and I wish them all the best for the rest of the campaign.


Premier Division Balham 3 Banstead Athletic 2

On Wednesday we suffered our second defeat in five days. Losing before this match to SCR at Merland |Rise by the same scoreline.

Balham posed a threat in the final third with pace, and their directness. They were however vulnerable at the back. We never got going in what was a way below par performance giving away poor goals and never getting into any rythmn whatsoever.

    Scott Day scored both our goals on the night.

We travel to Chertsey Town on Saturday looking for a huge reaction because if we play like we did tonight we will be lambs to the slaughter


CCL Premier Division Chertsey Town 3 Banstead Athletic 3

This was definitely a game of two halves. Athletic were superb in the first half taking a 0-3 lead into halftime. They were strong and Town were no match for their visitors as Banstead tore into their hosts frailties.

    Chertsey could have taken the lead from a superb freekick early on but the linesman had seen an infringement in the area and the goal was disallowed.

    Banstead's Tommy Batten returning to his former club took his chances with accuracy and strength, both goals from his headed chances which gave the Curlews keeper no chance, one on twenty six minutes and one three minutes later. Tommy Hutchings also returning to the club he once played for was strong and finished with power, when one on one with the hosts keeper in first half injury time.

What the team talk was in the Chertsey changing room at halftime made for a brilliant comeback. Chertsey were awarded a penalty in the sixty third minute and Jake Baxter stepped up and scored to make it 1-3. Then Town made it 2-3 four minutes later, and to complete the comeback Michael Kinsella scored with eight minutes left.

    Chertsey Town had a number of late corners as they had the bit between their teeth, but Banstead Athletic held firm, and were satisfied with a rom a pulsating game of football played in front of the FA Chairman Mr Greg Dyke and over one hundred spectators.

Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup 1st round South Park 2 Banstead Athletic 4

Our visit Tuesday to South Park in the Surrey Senior Cup 1st round showed how far this group of players have come in such a short time.

   We made eight changes from the starting eleven from Saturday. Minchin, Morrison, North, Batten, O'Brien, Cheeseman, Holden and Costello all starting and only Wallace, Newman and Geraghty featuring from Saturday, it shows the depth of the squad.

        We started fast and on the front foot. A cross from Morrison found it's way to Newman who finished into the left hand corner. Holden put two great crosses onto Cheeseman's head but unfortunately he couldn't convert. On eighteen minutes Geraghty doubled our lead. The home side rarely troubled our side until ten minutes before halftime. Pitcher finished cooly. Holden forced a good save from their keeper Eacott just before the break.

      The second half started off similarly where Cheeseman could have scored again and Holden was close to extending our lead but sharp defending by South Park beat him to the near post.

A Matt Males freekick into a dangerous area caused confusion and unfortunately Pitcher was brought down and Males equalised from the spot. South Park must have smelt a winner, but we capitalised when Cheeseman headed home a Holden corner on eighty minutes. Holden put Geraghty in but his effort was straight at Eacott. Geraghty did though get behind the South Park  backline and slotted past the helpless Eacott to make it 4-2 to us.

    We saw out the remaining minutes unscathed and deserved  the victory. For the team's reward we will host AFC Wimbledon in round two sometime in January 2019.


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 3 Balham 2

We hosted Balham FC on Saturday in desparate weather conditions. It was important to build on our South Park performance.

 It was never going to be a good spectacle, it was going to be a game of guts, determination and also grit. We took the lead from an own goal, when the Balham back line failed to clear their lines, and the ball was deflected into the net after good work from Hutchings. Matt O'Brien unfortunately gave the ball away and Balham equalised from a cross come shot. It remained 1-1 until half time and the conditions were worsening. Hutchings made it 2-1 direct from a corner and Joe Cheeseman scrambled home from five yards to make it 3-1. It seemed to be very comfortable but O'Brien was taken off after all three subs had been used and we had to play the last fifteen minutes with ten men.In between Trigwell made a good save. Balham cut the arrears to 3-2 when a shot from eighteen yards somehow endedup into the bottom left hand corner. Bowers-Williams nearly scored late on with some terrific fast feet. We managed to see the game out for an important three points in what was an ugly win in terrible conditions but the three points was all that mattered.

  We turn our attention to AFC Hayes away this Saturday where we will be looking to build on our last few results.


CCL Premier Division AFC Hayes 1 Banstead Athletic 1

Over the Christmas period we only managed to pick up one point from our two matches, this was away against AFC Hayes. The defeat came at home against Hanworth Villa by a score of 1-2.

Joe Cheeseman scored our goal away at AFC Hayes with a well struck volley. We had enough chances to get a winner but unfortunately failed to convert several good chances.


CCL Premier League Banstead Athletic 1 Hanworth Villa 2

At home to this team several players were unavailable, but Villa came out of the traps the quicker and deservedly took the lead halfway through the first half.

Both sides had chances, Rhule, Cheeseman & Holden having the best for us. A mix-up in our defence was capitalised on by our visitors and they extended their advantage.

Hutchings scored a superb goal in the dying moments of the second half for us to make it a nervy couple of minutes for Villa but they held on to take the points.

             We will look to put the inconsistent form of late behind us and will face the inform Redhill side this Saturday in what looks to be the game of the weekend in the Combined Counties League.


CCL Premier League Banstead Athletic 3 Redhill 1

It was very satisfying to bounce back after our defeat to Hanworth Villa with a comprehensive victory against Redhill FC.

After a quiet first half in which both goalkeepers were mere spectators the second period began with a bang. Hutchings nodded home a Morrison cross, and moments later Kailan North found Hutchings who thunderbolted a shot from fifteen yards out into the left hand corner. A poor communication error handed Tommy Hutchings his first hat trick of the season rounding the helpless visiting keeper Trevino in the Redhill goal.

With just over five minutes remaing Tony Halsey converted a cross from the right to make the scoreline read 3-1 to us.That has given us a little bit of breathing space between us in third and Redhill in fourth place. Some teams below us have three to four games in hand, but points on the board sometimes has it's positives.

A hard battle away to Camberley Town awaits us this weekend, but one we will relish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CCL Premier Division Camberley Town 1 Banstead Athletic 5

Saturday away at Camberley Town was all about following the Redhill victory up and getting some momentum.

Camberley Town took the lead in extraordinary circumstances when Costelloe was judged to have handballed when the ball was smashed into his stomach from Watkins, with the ball print bedded onto his shirt. Brad Smith converted and Camberley were in front.    

    The first half was dominated by us with a lot of possession but their keeper was relatively quiet.

We came out for the second half with a great appetite and desire, and it took twenty minutes for us to get our reward when substitute Liam Holden superbly executed past the home keeper. Forty seconds later Matt O'Brien hit a long diagonal ball for Joe Cheeseman who was also a substitute to finish calmly into the left hand corner. Our third goal soon followed when a superb cross from Declan Teuten found Joe Jones who directed his corner into the right hand corner. With two minutes to go Watkins rifled a shot into the right hand corner and before we could breathe Tommy Hutchings finished superbly to round off a great day for us and a ruthless performance.

    We set our focus to Tuesday night where we seek silverware away at Sheerwater FC in the League cup.

A hard game awaits with our hosts having a good season, but we are not frightened of anybody, and we hope to take our season as far as we can go and have interests in the last third of the season.


Sheerwater 0 Banstead Athletic 3   CRRCC 3rd round

We advanced into the quarter final of this cup with a comfortable

3-0 win away at Sheerwater FC.

Several players were rested, but it did give others a chance to get minutes on the pitch. The first half was a really poor performance from ourselves with the home side starting the game the brighter, but failing to test Jack Minchin in our goal.


Premier Division Cobham 1 Banstead Athletic 1

A 1-1 draw was the result in our match away against Cobham FC last Saturday.

   A direct free kick wasn't dealt with and Jack Minchin in goal was beaten at his near post after we gave away a cheap free kick.

  We struck the bar, an effort from Bowers-Williams went wide when on another day he would have scored. Both sides were cancelling each other out as a cheap goal given away separated our two sides at the break.

     We picked the pace up in the second half and started to get a foothold on the game, Joey replaced Matt O'Brien, with all our dominance we were testing the home keeper. Liam Holden and Anthony Morrison replaced Bowers-Williams and Stephen Newman halfway through the second half. Joe Cheeseman brought down a superb ball but unfortunately his shot was blocked, Watkins crossed a dangerous ball but that was cleared off the line.

It took until ten minutes from the end of the match when Jones headed a superb chance from a wonderful ball in from Guanetti who had a solid game. Holden was inches away from giving us the lead. With the game being stretched Minchin had to make a smart save at the other end. The game finished 1-1 but we felt it was two points dropped, but in truth it wasn't our best performance and our hosts kept their shape well.


Surrey Senior Cup (2nd round) Banstead Athletic 1 AFC Wimbledon 1 (1-1 after extra time)

Conquering heroes of Banstead Athletic

A fantastic night for us as we beat

AFC Wimbledon 6-5 on penalties

after extra time couldn't separate the sides

James Cameron Banstead Atrhletic manager writes...

We reached the quarter final of the Surrey Senior Cup by beating AFC Wimbledon on penalties after the game finished

1-1 after 90 minutes and extra time.

Paul Kalambari headed the visitors in front after Joe Blendell had earlier missed a penalty for us. Tom Costello who was immense all night levelled with five minutes to go to give us a deserved equaliser. Jack Minchin proved to be the match winner saving three penalties to seal a 6-5 win on penalties and book a place in the next round for us against Woking FC on Tuesday 5th March 2019.


 Banstead Athletic 0 Horley Town 2  & CB  Hounslow Utd CCRCC Quarter Final

 Two poor performances this week one against Horley Town where Liam Holden & Fraser Trigwell were both given straight reds.

     Richards and Boylan were the visitors to score. With no more than four key players unavailable we exited at the quarter final stage of the League Cup. Geraghty equalised in the second half after we gave away a cheap header at the back post where it went through Declan Teutan and keeper Jack Minchin. Day, Jones, Geraghty and Cheeseman all had opportunities to give us the lead, but were made to pay for their misses when Gavin Bamford scored a worldie with his instep leaving Minchin with no chance. There was literally twenty seconds of injury time to play and rude chances and a poor first half display put paid to a semi-final berth.


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 1 Knaphill 1 Carl Taylor reports on Saturday's match...

A very depleted team on Saturday found it heavy going.

A disjointed performance meant we gave away three chances that should have been punished. Jack Minchin though was in alert form and saved the day.

An exceptional half by Reece Williams saw our best moments come via his quality. Joe Jones was always looking to arrive into the box and had the best chance for us just before the break, but uncharacteristic technique meant our chance was missed.

 The second half started similar to the first, and a quickly poor bit of play was punished on the break to put Knaphill ahead.

We huffed and puffed and as the half went on a few more situations appeared with an eventual equaliser coming from Joe Jones after a double flick on from Matt O'Brien and Owen Davies.


CCL Premier Division Raynes Park Vale 1 Banstead Athletic 0    Report by Carl Taylor- Coach

The overall game was based on hard work without quality.

Raynes Park Vale played like the in-form team they are. They battled for every ball and the points that were desparately needed.

The one chance that mattered fell to the attacking midfielder and he picked the top corner.

The second half was full of possession but without any quality and hardly any chance that mattered.


Surrey Senior Cup - Quarter Final - Banstead Athletic 3 Woking 2

Rod Davis with his thoughts....

Another big Surrey Cup game saw us at home to Woking FC flying high in the Conference South. We knew we would have to be above our best to stand a chance of causing an upset.

 The game started at a good tempo, with as expected Woking having most of the ball, trying to stretch our defensive line. The games first chance fell to us with a cross but it just missed by Joe Jones going with his weaker foot. Not long after that we closed the ball down just outside their penalty area, Paulo got his body ahead of the defender while heading for their goal, he was tripped and a penalty was given. This situation was similar to our last round game against AFC Wimbledon which we had been victorious in where we had failed to score from a similar decision. Paulo Giaamettei stepped up and sent the ball to their keepers right which was saved but the ball rebounded out and he put it in the opposite corner 1-0, a great start for us.

 You could see the confidence in Banstead growing as they limited Woking to half chances, nothing clear. We got the ball back from a Woking midfielder and played the ball to Joe Cheeseman who held off their defender, he played the ball to Paulo who in turn found AJ Morrison on the right wing, he duly crossed the ball into Ben Geraghty who got in front of his man and side footed it into the net 2-0. That's how it stayed until halftime.

The second half saw Woking bring on another first team defender who was big and strong and would do a man marking job on Joe Cheeseman. As the game progressed our levels dropped and the Woking class and fitness started to show as they were playing direct and getting the second balls. As the game went on and against the run of play we scored our third goal as a back pass was sent back to their keeper who missed his kick and Morrison continuing his run found himself with an open goal 3-0.

 Woking's first goal came from a cross from the left which we didn't react to and it was nodded in by Harvey Bradbury, they were sensing a comeback. The game was end to end and with the minutes ticking down their midfielder Jack Skinner bent a ball around our defender and an unsighted Jack Minchin in our goal was rooted as it hit the net in the fourth minute of what felt like ten minutes of Fergie time. We held on though and now face Tooting & Mitcham at home, the date of which is still to be determined.


CCL Premier Division Guildford City 1 Banstead Athletic 2

Following a poor defeat at Southall we found ourselves 0-1 down early following poor marking from a set piece. We then produced a controlled performance of patience and quality. It took until the second half to make a breakthrough.

Paulo Guametti struck from twenty five yards out and the ball ended up in the foot of the net. The Guildford keeper had no chance. After numerous chances from set pieces we eventually won it in the final seconds. After numerous passing moves hadworn the Guildford side down. They failed to clear their lines, a cross from the right saw panic and an own goal won the game for us.

A totally deserved win!!


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 2 Camberley Town 1

(Coach) Carl Taylor writes...

A score line that flattered Camberley Town overall after we missed numerous chances to post a bigger score.

          In the end a goal in each half proved enough. Goals from debutant Antonio Dembele and Aron McCallum in only his second game for us were the ones that mattered.

       Camberley rallied and could have stolen a point after a penalty was awarded after an handball.

          We now head into a big week with a cup semi-final versus Tooting & Mitcham Utd on Tuesday and a poignant game against Wembley bound Chertsey Town on Thursday.


Banstead Athletic 0 Tooting & Mitcham United 1 Surrey Senior Cup Semi-Final

A controversial penalty decided this tight contest. Banstead were playing the fourth highest team in a row, worked hard on containing the danger of Isaiah Jones with Ben Geraghty probably winning that individual battle.

     There weren't that many chances...3 long range shots from our visitors which Jack Minchin dealt with easily. One from Joe Cheeseman which their keeper dealt with in the same way.

     The BIG moment came after a turbulent five minutes of referee over enthusiasim, it found Steve Newman making a strong block tackle but he caught the rooting playing on the follow through.

    Moral of this match is...Don't give the referee a decision to make. Bassett confidently struck home the resulting spot kick and our visitors won the game.


CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 1 Chertsey Town 2

Cup weary Banstead entertained Wembley bound and Champions elect Chertsey Town.

    Chertsey have have to play 3 games a week from now due to their FA Vase campaign. Having rested the team after their historic weekend.

    So a fresh hungry Chertsey set about us on the counter attack. We took the game to them, something was going to give. It did in the 12th minute we gave the ball away halfway down the left handside Town needed no time to pounce and score a classic counter cross step over 3 rd man running. We hit back with a higher tempo and forced another corner which our visitors struggled to deal with and Joe Cheeseman was on hand to guide the ball in at the near post after a Tom Costelloe flick on.

    Banstead pushed for a second, but on the stroke of halftime good invention by Chertsey saw a shot go through the keeper for what turned out to be the winner.

    We huffed and puffed due to our cup match only 48 hours previously. The second half came to nothing for us and it was Chertsey who missed the real chance in that period a half volley that went over the bar right in front of goal.


CCL Premier Division

Banstead Athletic 3 Abbey Rangers 1

After a very tough week losing narrowly to both Tooting & Mitcham in the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final and Chertsey Town in the Premier Division, Abbey Rangers was the next challenge.

        Abbey sitting third and chasing second place had narrowly beaten us 1-0 in our previous meeting last month. We had many changes, but in the first half dominated both the pace and possession. We created many opportunities, but only took two. Steve Newman got behind their defence and slid the ball towards the near post where Kai North finished after  a run from the far post. North turned provider for our second. A ball from right to left found Ben Geraghty in on goal, he beat the oncoming goalkeeper and chipped in with his left foot passed the covering defenders.

      The second half was a lot more even with Abbey having more passion and creating more problems, but we always carried a threat on the break. Abbey scored with a great strike after we failed to clear our lines, and were very upset not to get a penalty when Sean Bradley got tangled up with Anthony Morrison. The referee was very close and saw no foul.

 We won the points when with another breakaway we saw Dembele dribble past two defenders into their box, after their keeper parried his shot North was on hand to drive the loose ball into the corner.


CCL Premier Division

Banstead Athletic 1 Colliers Wood United 3

This was definately an end of season game of two halves.

 The last home match of an excellent season ended with three lovely goals from Colliers Wood United, and countless missed chances from us. Also a goalkeeper in inspired form to make sure United were safe in the division for another season.

  We had a lot of possession as usual in the first half, but sloppy passes and decision making gave our visitors impetus.

 We gave away a needless free kick on the right wing. United made us pay when a ferocious inswinger flew in over our keeper into the corner (0-1).

     We huffed and puffed and created many situations that we couldn't take advantage of. From one of the many corners United broke with speed and scored a nicely taken second goal which their doggedness deserved (0-2).

       We were awarded a penalty which was overturned after consultation between the referee and assistant. That decision probably showed how the night would end. Ben Geraghty has had real injury issues in the last month and had only completed one full match in five weeks, the curse struck again after ten minutes but he laboured to halftime (HT 0-2).

      Steve Newman replaced him and was very prominent in the second half. We dominated but couldn't convert before yet another United breakaway, poor marking meant a third lovely finish signalled game over.

     Well, not quite yet... A double substitution, Joe Cheeseman and Kai North were replaced by Aron McCallum and Mo Akubar. The former was prominent and unfortunate misses which could easily have seen him have at least a hat trick. He was involved in the penalty that we were awarded when his shot hit a hand. Joe Blendell blasted home for his first of the season. Paulo Guametti had a fantastic strike somehow finger tipped away from the top corner. There were headers from corners by us that United scrambled away, and blocks galore in the box. We did give it a real go and could probably have earned a result, or even won on chances, but United deserved their win for the fight and play on the night.


                                                                                                       End of season



SEASON 2019-2020

CCL Premier Division 


Balham FC 4 Banstead Athletic FC 1


Report from Andrew Squibb (Chief reporter)


On Wednesday night Banstead Athletic travelled to the Wibbandune Sports Ground to face a Balham side who had accumulated all of their points away from home this season.

Carl Taylor Banstead's manager handed debuts to recent recruits Drake Kieirov, Murray Gibb and Shamal Edwards.

The first ten minutes were slow from both sides, with a number of misplaced passes and very limited chances.

Fifteen minutes in the hosts took the lead, debutant Banstead goalkeeper Kieirov failed to distribute the ball, allowing Tom Read to fire into the roof of the net. Balham were showing that their high league position was no fluke with some controlled possession with a few shots  

narrowly wide. Five minutes after their first Balham made it 2-0 as David Awomolo was caught in possession by Tom Read who fired low and gave the visiting keeper no chance.

  On forty minutes Banstead created a brilliant opportunity, a low corner found Giamettei on the edge of the box which saw his shot deflected just wide. Banstead grew into the game towards the end of the first half and were unfortunate not to score. Anthony Morrison was too quick for the Balham right hand side and ran past with ease, unluckily for Banstead he was unbalanced when he released his shot and it sailed over the bar. Banstead went in trailing 0-2 at halftime knowing they had been in the game, with a bit of luck could have seen them get on the scoresheet, also trying to be cautious not to let the opposition take control.

Unfortunately the latter occurred early in the second half, the hosts started quicker and got their reward with their third goal, a low shot off the post was tapped in by Luke Hedges who was first to react.

     On fifty five minutes Banstead were given encouragement but failed to find the target again when a high press made the Balham keeper panic and boot the ball straight to Scott Walker who took his shot early but blazed over. With thirty minutes remaining Carl Taylor made a last roll of the dice with two substitutions, Paulo Giamettei and Joe Jones making way for Nathaniel Williams and Manny Akiotu. These substitutions definately made an impact and gave Banstead more firepower up front with Newman passing the ball low to Akiotu who saw his shot well saved by the home keeper Haydn Read who had to make his first real save of the night. More bodies were going forward in desparate attempts to get a goal which left Banstead short at the back and they were let off the hook with Balham having a few attempts with none testing the visiting keeper. Banstead finally got their reward for their positive play in the second half. A neat interchange play put Manny Akiotu one on one and he found the target to make it 3-1. This gave Banstead an incentive to get another but unfortunately this was exploited as the speedy Adebayo made a run from midfield and crossed to the back post for substitute Fred to take a touch and find the bottom corner for 4-1.

     Banstead return to Merland Rise on Saturday to face league leaders Ascot United in what will be another tough encounter, there were positives to take from this game, though Banstead will need to tighten up at the back as it's now 22 goals conceded in six games which doesn't make good reading.

Double click to insert body text here ...

Double click to insert body text here ...