Premier Division Badshot Lea 1 Banstead Athletic 0

Our recent form took another hit last Saturday with a 1-0 defeat at Badshot Lea.
On a sticky surface the home team came out of the traps quicker with more emergency.
Without Liam Holden, Tommy Hutchings, Joe Cheeseman & Bukele we lacked forward options. Bowers-Williams lead the line and to be fair the surface which was provided to him was average to say the least.
Norman for the home side whipped in several dangerous set pieces and we looked vulnerable to them.
Just after halfway through the first half Mac Ford volleyed home to give Badshot Lea the lead. Bowers-Williams had a chance to equalise but delayed his shot and was tackled.
The second half we came out with more purpose and had several openings. North had two gilt edged chances, and Joey Jones hit the post from fifteen yards, Badshot Lea also hit the post with a chance. Tommy Batten had a header cleared off the line, as a result of being kicked in the process we had to replace him with Obugugo.
We went three up front and Obugugo had a shot well saved and had another shot parried by their keeper. Matt O'Brien and debutaunt Wallace replaced Jones and Bowers-Williams but we couldn't find an equaliser which would have been a fairer result all things considered.
We need to get back to the drawing board and address this mini slump. We face South Park away tonight (Tuesday) in the 1st round of the Surrey Senior Cup which will give the squad another chance to kick start their season again.
CCL Premier Division Spelthorne Sports 0 Banstead Athletic 1
Saturday at Spelthorne Sports was all about turning our little blip around and getting back to winning ways.
On a tacky surface after all the rain it was always going to be a battle.The game wasn't the best spectacle, both sides having opportunities in the opening minutes. Tommy Hutchings brought a good save from the home keeper and the home side's Neale hit the side netting with his effort. How the home side were not reduced to ten men was astonishing. Drinkwater grabbed Obugugo one on one when already on a yellow card but after a lecture he was allowed to stay on the pitch.
Both sides never really forced much from either keeper in the first half. The second half started a bit brighter Hutchings missed a gilt edged opportunity from three yards after North had put it on a plate by good work down the right. Spelthorne had a free kick parried by our keeper and the home sid'e Frost fired over moments later from twenty five yards.
Bowers-Williams injected some quality into the game after Spelthorne were reduced to men after a second booking.
With the home side matching our pace and speed I decided after a chat with my management colleagues to replace Joe Cheeseman and Tommy Hutchings with AJ Morrison and Mukudi with ten minutes to go. With us pressing Bowers-Williams found AJ who unleashed a good strike from twelve yards off the inside of the post and into the net with five minutes left. Mukudi was then put one.
CCL Premier Division Walton & Hersham 1 Banstead Athletic 1
Banstead Athletic at the moment are the draw specialists in the Premier Division. They were at it again against "The Swans". Although when they took the lead after only two minutes of the match it looked like they were on a mission to bag all three points on offer.
It was a poor kick out from the home side's keeper that was collected by Tommy Hutchings and squared to Reece Bowers-Williams in the area who calmly slotted the ball into the net. W & H had their chance to score but Fraser Trigwell in the Athletic's goal was at full stretch to turn the ball round the post. It didn't take them long though to equalise through Callum Robinson two minutes later with a good header. Trigwell was the busier of the keepers, and did very well during the match to keep the home side from scoring more. Banstead had chances themselves but failed in the final third with them.
Unfortunately both teams went down to ten men just before halftime when James Robertson and Joe Blendell were given their marching orders after being given second yellow cards.
The second half was equally contested and really a draw was the fairest of results.
Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup 1st round South Park 2 Banstead Athletic 4
Our visit Tuesday to South Park in the Surrey Senior Cup 1st round showed how far this group of players have come in such a short time.
We made eight changes from the starting eleven from Saturday. Minchin, Morrison, North, Batten, O'Brien, Cheeseman, Holden and Costello all starting and only Wallace, Newman and Geraghty featuring from Saturday, it shows the depth of the squad.
We started fast and on the front foot. A cross from Morrison found it's way to Newman who finished into the left hand corner. Holden put two great crosses onto Cheeseman's head but unfortunately he couldn't convert. On eighteen minutes Geraghty doubled our lead. The home side rarely troubled our side until ten minutes before halftime. Pitcher finished cooly. Holden forced a good save from their keeper Eacott just before the break.
The second half started off similarly where Cheeseman could have scored again and Holden was close to extending our lead but sharp defending by South Park beat him to the near post.
A Matt Males freekick into a dangerous area caused confusion and unfortunately Pitcher was brought down and Males equalised from the spot. South Park must have smelt a winner, but we capitalised when Cheeseman headed home a Holden corner on eighty minutes. Holden put Geraghty in but his effort was straight at Eacott. Geraghty did though get behind the South Park backline and slotted past the helpless Eacott to make it 4-2 to us.
We saw out the remaining minutes unscathed and deserved the victory. For the team's reward we will host AFC Wimbledon in round two sometime in January 2019.
CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 3 Balham 2
We hosted Balham FC on Saturday in desparate weather conditions. It was important to build on our South Park performance.
It was never going to be a good spectacle, it was going to be a game of guts, determination and also grit. We took the lead from an own goal, when the Balham back line failed to clear their lines, and the ball was deflected into the net after good work from Hutchings. Matt O'Brien unfortunately gave the ball away and Balham equalised from a cross come shot. It remained 1-1 until half time and the conditions were worsening. Hutchings made it 2-1 direct from a corner and Joe Cheeseman scrambled home from five yards to make it 3-1. It seemed to be very comfortable but O'Brien was taken off after all three subs had been used and we had to play the last fifteen minutes with ten men.In between Trigwell made a good save. Balham cut the arrears to 3-2 when a shot from eighteen yards somehow endedup into the bottom left hand corner. Bowers-Williams nearly scored late on with some terrific fast feet. We managed to see the game out for an important three points in what was an ugly win in terrible conditions but the three points was all that mattered.
We turn our attention to AFC Hayes away this Saturday where we will be looking to build on our last few results.
CCL Premier Division AFC Hayes 1 Banstead Athletic 1
Over the Christmas period we only managed to pick up one point from our two matches, this was away against AFC Hayes. The defeat came at home against Hanworth Villa by a score of 1-2.
Joe Cheeseman scored our goal away at AFC Hayes with a well struck volley. We had enough chances to get a winner but unfortunately failed to convert several good chances.
CCL Premier League Banstead Athletic 1 Hanworth Villa 2
At home to this team several players were unavailable, but Villa came out of the traps the quicker and deservedly took the lead halfway through the first half.
Both sides had chances, Rhule, Cheeseman & Holden having the best for us. A mix-up in our defence was capitalised on by our visitors and they extended their advantage.
Hutchings scored a superb goal in the dying moments of the second half for us to make it a nervy couple of minutes for Villa but they held on to take the points.
We will look to put the inconsistent form of late behind us and will face the inform Redhill side this Saturday in what looks to be the game of the weekend in the Combined Counties League.
CCL Premier League Banstead Athletic 3 Redhill 1
It was very satisfying to bounce back after our defeat to Hanworth Villa with a comprehensive victory against Redhill FC.
After a quiet first half in which both goalkeepers were mere spectators the second period began with a bang. Hutchings nodded home a Morrison cross, and moments later Kailan North found Hutchings who thunderbolted a shot from fifteen yards out into the left hand corner. A poor communication error handed Tommy Hutchings his first hat trick of the season rounding the helpless visiting keeper Trevino in the Redhill goal.
With just over five minutes remaing Tony Halsey converted a cross from the right to make the scoreline read 3-1 to us.That has given us a little bit of breathing space between us in third and Redhill in fourth place. Some teams below us have three to four games in hand, but points on the board sometimes has it's positives.
A hard battle away to Camberley Town awaits us this weekend, but one we will relish.
CCL Premier Division Camberley Town 1 Banstead Athletic 5
Saturday away at Camberley Town was all about following the Redhill victory up and getting some momentum.
Camberley Town took the lead in extraordinary circumstances when Costelloe was judged to have handballed when the ball was smashed into his stomach from Watkins, with the ball print bedded onto his shirt. Brad Smith converted and Camberley were in front.
The first half was dominated by us with a lot of possession but their keeper was relatively quiet.
We came out for the second half with a great appetite and desire, and it took twenty minutes for us to get our reward when substitute Liam Holden superbly executed past the home keeper. Forty seconds later Matt O'Brien hit a long diagonal ball for Joe Cheeseman who was also a substitute to finish calmly into the left hand corner. Our third goal soon followed when a superb cross from Declan Teuten found Joe Jones who directed his corner into the right hand corner. With two minutes to go Watkins rifled a shot into the right hand corner and before we could breathe Tommy Hutchings finished superbly to round off a great day for us and a ruthless performance.
We set our focus to Tuesday night where we seek silverware away at Sheerwater FC in the League cup.
A hard game awaits with our hosts having a good season, but we are not frightened of anybody, and we hope to take our season as far as we can go and have interests in the last third of the season.
Sheerwater 0 Banstead Athletic 3 CRRCC 3rd round
We advanced into the quarter final of this cup with a comfortable
3-0 win away at Sheerwater FC.
Several players were rested, but it did give others a chance to get minutes on the pitch. The first half was a really poor performance from ourselves with the home side starting the game the brighter, but failing to test Jack Minchin in our goal.
Premier Division Cobham 1 Banstead Athletic 1
A 1-1 draw was the result in our match away against Cobham FC last Saturday.
A direct free kick wasn't dealt with and Jack Minchin in goal was beaten at his near post after we gave away a cheap free kick.
We struck the bar, an effort from Bowers-Williams went wide when on another day he would have scored. Both sides were cancelling each other out as a cheap goal given away separated our two sides at the break.
We picked the pace up in the second half and started to get a foothold on the game, Joey replaced Matt O'Brien, with all our dominance we were testing the home keeper. Liam Holden and Anthony Morrison replaced Bowers-Williams and Stephen Newman halfway through the second half. Joe Cheeseman brought down a superb ball but unfortunately his shot was blocked, Watkins crossed a dangerous ball but that was cleared off the line.
It took until ten minutes from the end of the match when Jones headed a superb chance from a wonderful ball in from Guanetti who had a solid game. Holden was inches away from giving us the lead. With the game being stretched Minchin had to make a smart save at the other end. The game finished 1-1 but we felt it was two points dropped, but in truth it wasn't our best performance and our hosts kept their shape well.
Surrey Senior Cup (2nd round) Banstead Athletic 1 AFC Wimbledon 1 (1-1 after extra time)
Conquering heroes of Banstead Athletic
A fantastic night for us as we beat
AFC Wimbledon 6-5 on penalties
after extra time couldn't separate the sides
James Cameron Banstead Atrhletic manager writes...
We reached the quarter final of the Surrey Senior Cup by beating AFC Wimbledon on penalties after the game finished
1-1 after 90 minutes and extra time.
Paul Kalambari headed the visitors in front after Joe Blendell had earlier missed a penalty for us. Tom Costello who was immense all night levelled with five minutes to go to give us a deserved equaliser. Jack Minchin proved to be the match winner saving three penalties to seal a 6-5 win on penalties and book a place in the next round for us against Woking FC on Tuesday 5th March 2019.
Banstead Athletic 0 Horley Town 2 & CB Hounslow Utd CCRCC Quarter Final
Two poor performances this week one against Horley Town where Liam Holden & Fraser Trigwell were both given straight reds.
Richards and Boylan were the visitors to score. With no more than four key players unavailable we exited at the quarter final stage of the League Cup. Geraghty equalised in the second half after we gave away a cheap header at the back post where it went through Declan Teutan and keeper Jack Minchin. Day, Jones, Geraghty and Cheeseman all had opportunities to give us the lead, but were made to pay for their misses when Gavin Bamford scored a worldie with his instep leaving Minchin with no chance. There was literally twenty seconds of injury time to play and rude chances and a poor first half display put paid to a semi-final berth.
CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 1 Knaphill 1 Carl Taylor reports on Saturday's match...
A very depleted team on Saturday found it heavy going.
A disjointed performance meant we gave away three chances that should have been punished. Jack Minchin though was in alert form and saved the day.
An exceptional half by Reece Williams saw our best moments come via his quality. Joe Jones was always looking to arrive into the box and had the best chance for us just before the break, but uncharacteristic technique meant our chance was missed.
The second half started similar to the first, and a quickly poor bit of play was punished on the break to put Knaphill ahead.
We huffed and puffed and as the half went on a few more situations appeared with an eventual equaliser coming from Joe Jones after a double flick on from Matt O'Brien and Owen Davies.
CCL Premier Division Raynes Park Vale 1 Banstead Athletic 0 Report by Carl Taylor- Coach
The overall game was based on hard work without quality.
Raynes Park Vale played like the in-form team they are. They battled for every ball and the points that were desparately needed.
The one chance that mattered fell to the attacking midfielder and he picked the top corner.
The second half was full of possession but without any quality and hardly any chance that mattered.
Surrey Senior Cup - Quarter Final - Banstead Athletic 3 Woking 2
Rod Davis with his thoughts....
Another big Surrey Cup game saw us at home to Woking FC flying high in the Conference South. We knew we would have to be above our best to stand a chance of causing an upset.
The game started at a good tempo, with as expected Woking having most of the ball, trying to stretch our defensive line. The games first chance fell to us with a cross but it just missed by Joe Jones going with his weaker foot. Not long after that we closed the ball down just outside their penalty area, Paulo got his body ahead of the defender while heading for their goal, he was tripped and a penalty was given. This situation was similar to our last round game against AFC Wimbledon which we had been victorious in where we had failed to score from a similar decision. Paulo Giaamettei stepped up and sent the ball to their keepers right which was saved but the ball rebounded out and he put it in the opposite corner 1-0, a great start for us.
You could see the confidence in Banstead growing as they limited Woking to half chances, nothing clear. We got the ball back from a Woking midfielder and played the ball to Joe Cheeseman who held off their defender, he played the ball to Paulo who in turn found AJ Morrison on the right wing, he duly crossed the ball into Ben Geraghty who got in front of his man and side footed it into the net 2-0. That's how it stayed until halftime.
The second half saw Woking bring on another first team defender who was big and strong and would do a man marking job on Joe Cheeseman. As the game progressed our levels dropped and the Woking class and fitness started to show as they were playing direct and getting the second balls. As the game went on and against the run of play we scored our third goal as a back pass was sent back to their keeper who missed his kick and Morrison continuing his run found himself with an open goal 3-0.
Woking's first goal came from a cross from the left which we didn't react to and it was nodded in by Harvey Bradbury, they were sensing a comeback. The game was end to end and with the minutes ticking down their midfielder Jack Skinner bent a ball around our defender and an unsighted Jack Minchin in our goal was rooted as it hit the net in the fourth minute of what felt like ten minutes of Fergie time. We held on though and now face Tooting & Mitcham at home, the date of which is still to be determined.
CCL Premier Division Guildford City 1 Banstead Athletic 2
Following a poor defeat at Southall we found ourselves 0-1 down early following poor marking from a set piece. We then produced a controlled performance of patience and quality. It took until the second half to make a breakthrough.
Paulo Guametti struck from twenty five yards out and the ball ended up in the foot of the net. The Guildford keeper had no chance. After numerous chances from set pieces we eventually won it in the final seconds. After numerous passing moves hadworn the Guildford side down. They failed to clear their lines, a cross from the right saw panic and an own goal won the game for us.
A totally deserved win!!
CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 2 Camberley Town 1

(Coach) Carl Taylor writes...
A score line that flattered Camberley Town overall after we missed numerous chances to post a bigger score.
In the end a goal in each half proved enough. Goals from debutant Antonio Dembele and Aron McCallum in only his second game for us were the ones that mattered.
Camberley rallied and could have stolen a point after a penalty was awarded after an handball.
We now head into a big week with a cup semi-final versus Tooting & Mitcham Utd on Tuesday and a poignant game against Wembley bound Chertsey Town on Thursday.
Banstead Athletic 0 Tooting & Mitcham United 1 Surrey Senior Cup Semi-Final
A controversial penalty decided this tight contest. Banstead were playing the fourth highest team in a row, worked hard on containing the danger of Isaiah Jones with Ben Geraghty probably winning that individual battle.
There weren't that many chances...3 long range shots from our visitors which Jack Minchin dealt with easily. One from Joe Cheeseman which their keeper dealt with in the same way.
The BIG moment came after a turbulent five minutes of referee over enthusiasim, it found Steve Newman making a strong block tackle but he caught the rooting playing on the follow through.
Moral of this match is...Don't give the referee a decision to make. Bassett confidently struck home the resulting spot kick and our visitors won the game.
CCL Premier Division Banstead Athletic 1 Chertsey Town 2
Cup weary Banstead entertained Wembley bound and Champions elect Chertsey Town.
Chertsey have have to play 3 games a week from now due to their FA Vase campaign. Having rested the team after their historic weekend.
So a fresh hungry Chertsey set about us on the counter attack. We took the game to them, something was going to give. It did in the 12th minute we gave the ball away halfway down the left handside Town needed no time to pounce and score a classic counter cross step over 3 rd man running. We hit back with a higher tempo and forced another corner which our visitors struggled to deal with and Joe Cheeseman was on hand to guide the ball in at the near post after a Tom Costelloe flick on.
Banstead pushed for a second, but on the stroke of halftime good invention by Chertsey saw a shot go through the keeper for what turned out to be the winner.
We huffed and puffed due to our cup match only 48 hours previously. The second half came to nothing for us and it was Chertsey who missed the real chance in that period a half volley that went over the bar right in front of goal.
CCL Premier Division
Banstead Athletic 3 Abbey Rangers 1
After a very tough week losing narrowly to both Tooting & Mitcham in the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final and Chertsey Town in the Premier Division, Abbey Rangers was the next challenge.
Abbey sitting third and chasing second place had narrowly beaten us 1-0 in our previous meeting last month. We had many changes, but in the first half dominated both the pace and possession. We created many opportunities, but only took two. Steve Newman got behind their defence and slid the ball towards the near post where Kai North finished after a run from the far post. North turned provider for our second. A ball from right to left found Ben Geraghty in on goal, he beat the oncoming goalkeeper and chipped in with his left foot passed the covering defenders.
The second half was a lot more even with Abbey having more passion and creating more problems, but we always carried a threat on the break. Abbey scored with a great strike after we failed to clear our lines, and were very upset not to get a penalty when Sean Bradley got tangled up with Anthony Morrison. The referee was very close and saw no foul.
We won the points when with another breakaway we saw Dembele dribble past two defenders into their box, after their keeper parried his shot North was on hand to drive the loose ball into the corner.
CCL Premier Division
Banstead Athletic 1 Colliers Wood United 3
This was definately an end of season game of two halves.
The last home match of an excellent season ended with three lovely goals from Colliers Wood United, and countless missed chances from us. Also a goalkeeper in inspired form to make sure United were safe in the division for another season.
We had a lot of possession as usual in the first half, but sloppy passes and decision making gave our visitors impetus.
We gave away a needless free kick on the right wing. United made us pay when a ferocious inswinger flew in over our keeper into the corner (0-1).
We huffed and puffed and created many situations that we couldn't take advantage of. From one of the many corners United broke with speed and scored a nicely taken second goal which their doggedness deserved (0-2).
We were awarded a penalty which was overturned after consultation between the referee and assistant. That decision probably showed how the night would end. Ben Geraghty has had real injury issues in the last month and had only completed one full match in five weeks, the curse struck again after ten minutes but he laboured to halftime (HT 0-2).
Steve Newman replaced him and was very prominent in the second half. We dominated but couldn't convert before yet another United breakaway, poor marking meant a third lovely finish signalled game over.
Well, not quite yet... A double substitution, Joe Cheeseman and Kai North were replaced by Aron McCallum and Mo Akubar. The former was prominent and unfortunate misses which could easily have seen him have at least a hat trick. He was involved in the penalty that we were awarded when his shot hit a hand. Joe Blendell blasted home for his first of the season. Paulo Guametti had a fantastic strike somehow finger tipped away from the top corner. There were headers from corners by us that United scrambled away, and blocks galore in the box. We did give it a real go and could probably have earned a result, or even won on chances, but United deserved their win for the fight and play on the night.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player